Unforgettable studentlife

You know those adults who often say (with a nostalgic look in their eyes): "Ah, my time as a student, those were truly the best days of my life"? 

As a child and even when I was in high school, I didn't get the point. How could you enjoy it? How could you enjoy studying, attending classes, listening to the same boring teachers over and over again? How could you enjoy getting up so early and making homework late at night? Don't get me wrong, I never hated school, but it definitely weren't the best days of my life. There were so many other things I wanted to do instead of spending my days in those musty, old classrooms.

That was before I attended college. 

As there isn't any college or university in the small town where I live, I have to rent a dorm in the city where I study. Which means I'm living 'on my own' for 5 days in a week. Yes, including cooking and cleaning. But also making your own decisions. When am I going to shop? Do I finish this paper now or will I watch a movie? Should I go out tonight or did I already spent enough money this week? I don't always make the best choices right away (come on, you'd choose to watch a movie too!), but I'm learning bit by bit and that's the way it should be, isn't it? 

I'm almost at the end of my second bachelor year, and I can admit: I do enjoy it now. A lot. 
These two years have been, and still are, wonderful. 
I really like my studies -they interest me a lot, and I feel that I really want to make a future in it-. I've learned a lot about many different, interesting and topical subjects. I also extremely enjoyed the short internship I had to do in February and am so grateful for all the things I've learned there and the opportunities it gave me. 



However, what really made the past two years so wonderful, are the people I've met and the moments I've lived and still am living with them (it isn't over yet!). I did have a bunch of highschool-friends when I arrived here, but I've also made a lot of new friends. At school, while going out, friends of other friends, ... and above all: at my very own 'studenthouse'. 

I've must have made Santa really happy, because this year, I've got the best roommates anyone could ever wish for. 

Last year, except for two of them, I never spoke or saw any of the other students of my building. This year is totally different. I'm not only sharing a kitchen and living room with them, but also a friendship. Although none of us knew each other before, it feels like we've been friends for years and we are sometimes acting like a small family ("dinner's ready!", "it's your turn to do the dishes!" and "could anyone bring some milk from the store?" are common sentences in our groupschat. But so are "movienight?" and "let's party!").
We are all totally different, yet we managed to build a incredible bond. It's the small moments that matter: talking about what happened last night while enjoying the sun in our garden, cleaning up after our houseparty while dancing to the new hits of Rihanna, skating through the city by sunset, studying together at 4am the morning before an exam, crying our hearts out in each others arms, ... 
I've never lived such an intense friendship within a group before, and I wouldn't miss it for the world.

Life always has that magic touch, hidden in the smallest moments. 

I get the point now. Those adults were talking about way more than only 'school'. It was way more than writing papers till dawn or eating bread with cheese for an entire week to save up to go out. It's all about the memories.

For me, it's also way more than that. It's about midnight croques monsieurs and afternoon mojito's. It's about selfmade cookie-dough ice cream and Greek yoghurts at 6am. It's about the saladbar you discover or the beerponggame you win. It's about the bicyclerides to a party and the pictures at the photobooth of the prom. It's about kitchenparties and a free session of wall-climbing. It's about the people you share it with. 

Guaiana

Part-time career maker, part-time traveller, part-time blogger. Full-time bon vivant! Lover of words, food, seaside and summer.

2 comments:

  1. Waw supermooie post! Echt mooi geschreven, zeker de laatste paragraaf!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. dankjewel lieve Lisa! You know you've been a big part of it all xxx

      Delete